Have a question about conveyancing in Melbourne, Victoria? Read on!

What is conveyancing?

Conveyancing involves providing advice regarding the sale of a property. Conveyancing is needed to arrange the settlement and title transfer process of real estate property from one person or entity to another. Whether you are buying property, selling property, subdividing property or refinancing, conveyancing ensures that you don’t run into legal trouble later down the line.

What does a conveyancer do?

A professional conveyancer or conveyancing solicitor helps to ensure that the client has met all legal obligations, as well as protect their legal interests. They do this three main ways: conducting research, preparing documentation and examining and verifying that all the steps have been taken correctly. A conveyancer can also attend settlement on your behalf.

When would I benefit from using a conveyancer for conveyancing services as opposed to a solicitor?

When buying, selling or changing the title details of a real estate property, a conveyancer makes the process much easier. As this is the only service they offer, it’s safe to say conveyancers are specialists in the field.

Am I legally required to use a conveyancer for property title transfer?

No, but a conveyancer can help you mitigate legal problems or illegitimate transactions when transferring property ownership. Therefore, it’s a good idea to get a conveyancer on board as early as possible to avoid future headaches. 

What are the typical government fees that need to be paid?

Typical government fees involved in property transfers include title searches , occupancy certificate searches, stamp duty fees for land transfer, and local government taxes. A conveyancer can help you  to have a clear understanding of how far your budget can stretch and avoid any unexpected surprises.

How much does conveyancing cost?

Average conveyancing costs or fees can range anywhere from $850-$2200 depending on the complexity of the transaction. For more information on conveyancing fees, please check out our fee page.

What is a conveyancing instruction form?

A conveyancing instruction form provides all the information that is legally required to execute a real estate property sale or purchase. 

Are you a lawyer?

We are not practising lawyers. However, we have a specialist licence for conveyancing and subdivision work from the Victorian Business Licensing Authority, and are also accredited by the Australian Institute of Conveyancers. Where necessary, we engage with lawyers.

Does a conveyancer need to be qualified?

Yes. Under the Conveyancers Act 2006, a conveyancer is legally required to be qualified and licensed to operate in Victoria.

I inherited a property, what do I need to do?

Sorry for your loss. Contact a solicitor and a licensed conveyancer to discuss your options.

I’m a property developer. How can you help me?

At Blue Ribbon conveyancing, we frequently work with property developers. We can organise the subdivision once the land surveyor has completed their relevant reports.

Can you help with subdividing my property?

Yes – we have a licence to use the Surveying and Planning through Electronic Applications and Referrals (SPEAR) system, and can do this for you once your land surveyor has completed the relevant surveys.

Can you help with refinancing a mortgage?

No, this is not something we currently offer. We can however advise you of our preferred mortgage brokers.

Can you help me get the first home buyer’s grant?

Yes. Blue Ribbon Conveyancing can assist you with the process of obtaining any property buyer’s grant offered by state or federal government that may be available for your situation. However, this is typically done by your banker.

What is a Section 32?

A Section 32 is a conveyancing document also known as a vendor’s statement. Under the Sale of Land Act 1962 (VIC), a Section 32 must disclose all essential information that may affect the value of land being sold in a property transaction. A Section 32 must be provided to the buyer before a contract of sale is signed and property ownership can be transferred.

What is a Legal Person Representative Application?

The Legal Person Representative Application is used to apply to become a legal personal representative. The legal personal representative is the person responsible to attend to various tasks on behalf of the estate. These generally include funeral arrangements, executing a will, or otherwise managing the transfer of a deceased person’s assets. This is best done by a solicitor.

Can conveyancing be done during Stage 4 lockdown?

Yes it can. All conveyancing can be completed as usual, because the work can be carried out remotely and settlements now take place online, meaning there is no longer the need to physically attend settlement.

Need conveyancing advice?

Have a question that isn’t answered here? No worries! Contact our experts today for personalised advice.

Request a Buyer Conveyancing Quote